The Colorado Crime of False Imprisonment 18-3-303
I. You Will Need To Understand The Actual Statutory Crime With Which You Have Been Charged
– The statute, as of 2016, appears first on this page.
II. You Will Also Need To Understand How The Jury Or Judge Reads The Elements – ( a jury instruction “breakout” of the necessary parts or list of things that make up the crime)
– The Jury Instructions for most of the main forms of the crimes with which individuals are charged – appears after a reprint of the statute defining the crime.
The Colorado Statute for the Crime of False Imprisonment 18-3-303
§ 18-3-303. False imprisonment
|(2)||False imprisonment is a class 2 misdemeanor; except that false imprisonment is a class 5 felony if:
The Colorado Jury Instruction For False Imprisonment
The elements of the crime of false imprisonment are:
1. That the defendant,
2. in the State of Colorado, at or about the date and place charged,
4. confined or detained another person,
5. without the other person’s consent, and
6. without proper legal authority.[7. and that the defendant’s conduct was not legally authorized by the affirmative defense[s] in Instruction[s] ___.]
Click and then click again on the chart below for a way to enlarge the Colorado Felony and Sentencing Chart